Monday, April 13, 2009

Morehead Street Tavern


Restaurant: Morehead Street Tavern
Location: 300 E. Morehead Street, Charlotte, NC 28202
Click here for Google Maps (simply fill in your address)
Website: What is this?
Telephone: 704.334.2655
Food Selection: American, Burgers, Bar Food, Wings,
Health Score; ?
Hours:
Monday-Friday: 11:30am-1:00am
Saturday: 12:00pm-1:00am
Sunday: 5:00pm-1:00am


The Initial Walk-In:

My friends and I decided to grab a bite to eat before we went into downtown *cough* Uptown *cough* over the weekend. Little did we know, this restaurant will absolutely kill our vibe for the rest of the evening. The Tavern itself is huge. It has a bar area, dining area, billiards area, game area, etc. It has a lot to offer, I am sure, during football season as it is a bar. I am not sure it deserves the "Tavern" however.

Course of Meals:

We were seated immediately, which I am now surprised given how slow the service was going to be.

My compatriots and I wanted to grab a couple beers and burgers/nachos before our scouring of the town. We walked in around 10:00/10:10pm.

Our waitress showed up eventually (I think she was either stoned, drunk, or did not care about her job) . We ordered our beers. Once we had our orders ready, she came back eventually. We ordered and she asked if we wanted some more beers, we said we were good, then she proceeded to say she'll bring more beers. I mean, I am all about assumptive closing and assuming the sale, but c'mon, LISTEN.

I ordered a regular burger, my buddy ordered the Fish & Chips, and my other buddy ordered the nachos. About 10-15 minutes later our waitress eventually (notice a theme here?) came back saying the Fish and Chips would need to be thawed longer. Thus, my buddy upped and ordered a burger instead. As much as he wanted thawed Fish and Chips... he had to pass.

10:55 rolls around, we still did not have our food. We said we'll give her ten more minutes. I mean, if Kenny G can hold a note for 45 minutes, why can't we sit? It is not like we had anywhere to be... I mean, we knew we would eventually get our food. Five minutes later we did.

I' m sorry, but the only decent thing I consumed were the homemade chips. I wish I had gone to McDonald's or Burger for the burger. No taste. Mediocrity at its best. Not worth saying anything else.

When we tried to pay, she "forgot" to bring us our checks, so we waited for twenty more minutes. Eventually we got our checks. We paid and got the heck out of there... around 11:30. Talk about a buzz kill. We did not eventually get our moods back that night.

Atmosphere/Ambiance:

The atmosphere is pure sports bar. It a couple big rooms, which is nice. The pool tables and such make Morehead a cool lounging/chilling place with your buddies. Like I said earlier, I bet this place is great during sports games. This is a Tavern you go to for the atmosphere, plain and simple, not the food or service. I have to give Morehead Tavern credit for the atmosphere.

Server/Staff:
Our server.... wow. Awful. There was certainly a substance involved...

My Complaints:

*SERVER!
*Time to be served
*Quality of food

What's "Special" about Morehead Tavern:

*Atmosphere

Closing Everything Out:

I spent about $13 with a beer and burger. I really do not like being so harsh and negative, but this experience absolutely ruined the vibe for the rest of the evening due to the poor service, long serving time, and mediocre food. If I had gone there just to drink and chill, it could have been a different story, but I did not. So, here's to a good atmosphere, but not much more.

~the RESTAURANT GUY

No comments: